Saturday 12 September 2009

Music is the weapon

Got into some stuff on Dj Harvey the other night, check a recent interview at Resident Advisor. Never been a huge fan, but very aware if his cult status and...yeah, I believe he's sort of a Dj's Dj. I don't know the reasons for his exile to the US, but he certainly seems to be a cool dude over there. I've possibly seen him at some occasion in the UK, I'm not entirely sure. But some inspired from his sarcastic disco stuff, I gave myself into doing this mix. As the man himself says - at the end of the day it's about playing the right records after each other.
So armed with a can of lager (or 2 - very hedonistic), some sh-t speakers, a stack of records, I thought I'll give it a go. Doing it in my mixed flavour - disco, boogie, modern soul, house etc., all in the same. Check for some Larry Levan, some old & future classics, mid-school house stuff from Pulsinger and Heard, even some Norwegian space-disco.
I've never had any patience doing edits on a computer, just playing the old vinyls, there's really no place for any tricks. So here you go; 1 take straight down to file, with some skips, dust and all that, and most and foremost with the soul:
  1. Taana Gardner - Heartbeat
  2. Benny Golson - I'm always dancing to the music
  3. Phyllis Hyman - Living inside your love
  4. Expression - Release Disco
  5. Baron Zen - Burn Rubber (Dam Funk Rmx)
  6. Floating Points - Love me like this (Dub)
  7. Brainstorm - Journey to the light (A. Beedle edit)
  8. Last Exit - Sweet Maryline
  9. Breakwater - Say you love me girl
  10. T Connection - Saturday Night
  11. Alice Smith - Love Endevour (M. Fulton Rmx)
  12. iO - Claire
  13. Mr. Fingers - Waterfalls
  14. Prince - 17 Days
  15. Son of Sound - Life under bridges
  16. Shit Robot - Simple Things (T. Terje Rmx)

Download Mix

No comments: